[pianotech] screw-y stuff

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 9 09:04:55 PST 2008

Wow! Another "Hole-iday"!
I'd use mold release on the screws and fill the holes with epoxy to firm
up the wood fibers on smaller holes.  You could mortise out damaged
material and install a wooden block, glued in place with thickened
epoxy.  Plugs also work, as you suggest.
Filling holes with toothpicks or other kinds of slivers
                           seems to work, but must have glue (Titebond)
to hold them in place.  I personally don't like toothpicks (the soft
kind), but prefer to mash a hammershank with vice-grips and use the
splinters (hardwood).
If you have the Webb Phillip's Wood Rebuilder, you can use that to fill
the holes.  Spray the screws with mold release, mash the Rebuilder into
the holes and install the screws.  You'll have a perfect screw hole.
Just be sure the screw is bottomed out when you first install it or it
will hit bottom before it's tight after the rebuilder hardens.  You
could run the screw into the hole without the hinge so it will go in
farther.  Then when you install the hinge it will have some extra room
at the bottom of the hole.  I love that Wood Rebuilder stuff.
Young Chang has  nice metal inserts in the lid for the lockbar screws.
They are inserted using a hex wrench and are machine threaded for the
long screws of the lockbar.  Very strong.  Would be nice to have such
inserts for all the lid hardware.
I'm sure others will have their suggestions too.  Have fun!

Paul McCloud
San Diego