[pianotech] Restringing Q's

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Wed Dec 10 03:27:56 PST 2008

Hi Todd:

Along with the good comments others have made, I would ask your client if he
wants his piano to be constantly out of tune over the next few years as the
new wire settles in, and you leapfrog from one section to another.  When we
do the whole thing at once, at least there is a limited period of tuning
instability with the fresh wire, and since it's all new, it is moving more
or less together.

If this is the customer's idea, it is part of our responsibility as the
experts to show them what is most in their best interest, even if it is not
what they think.  It may be their own bad idea, but they will still hold it
against you when they realize they are not getting what they really want.

I have lost restringing jobs to others on rare occasion because I refuse to
do this work in the home.  For the reasons David Love has indicated, you
simply cannot address all the elements that are part of doing  good work in
restringing.

For those who live and die by price, I simply say, "There is good piano
work, and there is cheap piano work, but there is no such thing as good,
cheap piano work."  Sell value rather than cost.  There are reasons why good
work costs more - because you are doing more and should be paid for it.
Good work lasts, and cheap work doesn't because the compromises that go
along with it eventually rear their ugly head.

Good luck.

Will Truitt