[pianotech] Kawie GS-50 [shift lever tongue]

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Fri Dec 12 11:10:31 PST 2008

Dean and all,

Indeed, the shift lever tongue can get under the keyframe unless the
dags are dimensioned to prevent excessive upward travel of the
keyframe.

Early in my rebuilding career we rebuilt a Baldwin SD-10. This piano
was not originally fitted with an over-travel stop for the soft pedal
shift lever on the underside of the key bed, relying totally on the
treble-touch-block stop to limit soft pedal travel. During a
full-house workshop concert with this piano, the fine pianist who was
performing had strong calf muscles and also suffered from performance
anxiety. During the performance she managed to push the soft pedal
shift with sufficient force so that it moved under the keyframe
lifting it away from from the key bed. Now this piano was finely
regulated with the let-off adjusted quite close to the strings, so it
immediately ceased to function with the elevated middle treble of the
keyframe being jacked up by the shift tongue. The concert had to stop
while I removed the action and replaced it to allow the tongue to
return to the slot.

Since this incident, all of our rebuilt and more recently
manufactured grands have been fitted with a stop bolt directly above
the soft pedal lyre-push-rod, between the shift lever and the key-bed.

Ron Overs

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers