[pianotech] Verituner Help...

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Wed Dec 17 03:54:50 PST 2008

On 12/16/08, Duaine & Laura Hechler <dahechler at charter.net> wrote:
> Ron, et all,
>
> Why would anyone waste the time to do a two-pass tuning, when it can be done
> in one.
>
> I tune in one pass, using Cybertuner,  then do a final unison check.
>
> Everyone that I know that has Cybertuner, tune in one pass.
>
> Regards, Duaine

Harumph!!!  You know ME by name, and I routinely do a double pass with
my Cybertuner,  especially on the concert instruments which may only
be off a cent or two.

I'm quite happy with the RCT, but since I was an aural tuner for 25
years before I got it, I go by the philosophy - "trust, but verify".
The fine tuning pass may not be more than double checking unisons, but
I feel better about it.  And, yes, sometimes I disagree with the
machine, but we discuss it a bit and come up with a great tuning.

Those P22s which show 439.9 on A4 but -20¢ at F3 get a quick and dirty
pitch raise and a then a full fine tune. Would that be 1.25 passes?

I'm not dogmatic about this aural/machine tuning thing - if it works
for you and your customers, who cares.  I just like a fallback when/if
the battery craps out.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT
Luther College