[pianotech] RPT Credibility and "Status"

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed Dec 17 20:19:46 PST 2008

No Duaine,

People like you should be excluded from RPT precisely because (your
description, mind you) you can't tune aurally and have no understanding of
the basic tuning concepts e.g. intervals, beats, checks, etc.  RPT is a
designation that is defined in part by affirming to ones peers, clients, etc
that one can tune aurally - at least to some measured degree, even with an
ETD.

Probably folks at a convention seemed pompous to you because you had a hard
time seeing over the chip on your shoulder.  Really.  I've found it rather
remarkable every time I hear this description of RPT's or Guild members in
general as pompous or "holier than thou", as my own experience is so
inexplicably different than yours.  The Guild as an assemblage of
technicians is so overwhelmingly open and sharing as to be dumbfounding.
The trick is you have to be open to the possibility.

Good luck in your growth.

William R. Monroe