[pianotech] RPT Credibility and "Status"

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Thu Dec 18 04:57:15 PST 2008

> So, what you are saying that if I can't tune aurally then I should not
> be tuning at all.

What I wrote really doesn't need your "interpretation."  Apparently you had
difficulty in understanding what I actually wrote.  Let me try and clarify.
What I am saying (Did say) is that if you can't tune at least the midrange
and unisons aurally with a certain amount of competence; and demonstrate at
least a modest understanding of the basic tuning concepts e.g. intervals,
beats, checks, etc., you shouldn't be an RPT.  I never suggested you stop
tuning, only that you stop complaining about not being GIVEN a credential
(RPT) that you haven't EARNED.

> If that's the case, you are about to start a major war between each
> tuner's opinion.
>
> Again, you mention peers, sure most of my peers in this area have tuned
> aurally - to pass the test - but they have all switched to tuning with
> some form of ETD.

OK, do you have a point?  This supports the idea of learning the foundations
and understanding the underlying principles of tuning, don't you think?  If
most of your peers only learned to tune aurally to pass the test, they have
failed.  The point is learning, Duaine.  You (and they) should be able to
see the value in the learning process.  As another wrote, it's what makes us
more valuable.  If you are unwilling/unable to learn a skill set, why on
God's earth should you be given a credential that says you are?!?!?!

> Again, you mention clients - I don't know where you are and who you tune
> for BUT none of my clients have EVER asked if I could tune aurally.

To answer directly, it matters to few of my clients and some of my peers,
but mainly to me.  I did have to educate myself to become RPT.  I did have
to stop using an ETD to learn aural skills well enough to pass.  To me, it
shows my commitment to continued learning.  To peers (and the occasional
client), they know I have "at least" those skills required to pass the exam.

Duaine, if being an RPT matters so little to you, why do you care that the
PTG won't lower the qualifications to GIVE you the RPT status (without the
learning)?  This all began with you saying guys like you with no aural
skills should be allowed to be RPT.  So, if you don't want to be an RPT
anyway, why argue about it's qualifications?!?!

Does it really make sense, Duaine, that if someone can't meet the standards
set forth for a qualification that the standards should be ignored?

> This argument is getting so &*&^% old !!!!
> Duaine

Yes, here we agree; so why did you start it?  Arguments often get old when
one side of a debate fails to LISTEN to the other perspective.  In my world,
Duaine, RPT is about education, learning.  Most of the RPT's I know don't
stop there.  We keep working to learn more and more, all the time.  Without
the learning it get's boring quick.

William R. Monroe