[pianotech] RPT Credibility and "Status"

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 04:58:15 PST 2008

RPT is minimal competency.  If you cannot tell -- and be able to explain --
the difference in what constitutes a good tuning, then you don't deserve the
minimal competency credentials.  You wouldn't expect a bookkeeper to promote
himself "as good as a CPA" unless he had passed some sort of competency
exam, right?  Or a paralegal to offer his services as a lawyer unless he'd
been to law school and passed the bar exams, right?
Duaine, when I began tuning, I used a SAT II, and couldn't tell the
difference in much other than unisons.  Maybe if the octaves were really
bad.  But I joined PTG, got the help of an RPT mentor, and persisted.  It
was really hard for me to mentally grasp the concepts of regulation.  But I
persisted. I passed the exams.  And I'm not particularly proud of my
personal performance on the technical exams, because I know I can do better
out in the "real world."  But I persisted, and got it done.  And now, I'm
still trying to improve my skills.  I'm still persisting.

I have a magnetic sticker on my fridge with a quote by Henry Ford: "Whether
you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."  The thing that is
holding you back is you:  it is not test standards or other techs … it's
just you.  So if you want to have the RPT credentials, quit griping and
whining, and figure out how to get it done.  All the rest of us have done
it, and you can too.  But you're not going to do it if you keep saying "I
can't."

--
JF