[pianotech] RPT Credibility and "Status" (pianolover 88)

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Dec 19 11:42:17 PST 2008

I think Terry is right in this respect.  While the RPT designation might be
used as a screening process at the outset by a potential customer, keeping
that customer will be a function of the quality of your work and your
relationship with them, not the RPT designation.  Further, developing new
customers is more likely to come about as a function of referrals rather
than certification.  Similarly one's ability to demand a higher scale will
be a function of your skill level, supply and demand and regional economics
more than the RPT designation-as it should be.  While I fully support the
guild in its effort for continuing education and the continued development
of certification programs to establish recognized baseline skill levels I
think we should be realistic about the practical benefits.  In a trade where
there is are a wide variety of individuals with a wide range of skills (even
within the RPT category), where there is a significant  degree of artistic
judgment, to have the RPT designation have real teeth would require a much
more fully regulated industry, oversight, constant testing and monitoring.
I don't know about anyone else, but there's a reason I chose not to work in
the corporate world.

That being said, I think the guild's weakness is not in the process of
educating each other but in educating the broader piano playing public.
While many of us don't mind spending countless hours preparing lectures on
technical topics for other technicians, we would probably be better served
by spending a significant portion of those resources on programs given to
the individuals who buy our services.  For myself, I am preparing a lecture
of just this type and hope to give it starting next year.  There will be a
focus on a particular topic but it will open the door for a more general
Q&A.  This has come about after years of frustration trying to explain to
pianists (who might just well be the least knowledgeable people about the
instrument they spend so much time at) the most basic what, whys and
wherefores of piano performance and maintenance.

As Terry has suggested, people will view you as a professional when you
conduct yourself as one and demonstrate the depth of your expertise in a
professional way they can understand.   A three letter symbol after our name
is nice but when every salesperson in every store now introduces themselves
to a potential piano buyer as not only a salesperson but a technician the
titles become a little meaningless.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com