[pianotech] RPT exam?

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Tue Dec 23 05:35:33 PST 2008

Hi Gregor,

In essence you have it right.

If an ETD examinee tunes part two without reference to part one, it would not sound so nice.  However, most examinees will simply "tune over" part one, placing the notes as they are directed by the ETD.  This is not a requirement, as part one has already been scored, but is also rather easy to do in the time allowed.

Remember, the point of tuning part one aurally is to ensure that even ETD using RPT's have at least a rudimentary understanding of tuning theory and principles as well as an ability to tune aurally.  Keep in mind, the examination is designed to test the abilities necessary to tune with minimum competency; it is not designed to necessarily produce a fine tuning when the exam is over.

William R. Monroe

  Part 1, 2, 3? It used to be like this but changed now to that? ETD or no ETD? Folks, I am more confused than before. After reading all the answers I understand it like this:

  1. Setting pitch to 440 Hz by ear, using a tuning fork, no ETD allowed
  2. Tuning the middle strings from C3 to B4 by ear, no ETD allowed
  3. Tuning the rest of the strip muted piano, excepted A0 to B0 and C8, ETD allowed
  4. Stabilty testing only for the single strings from C3 to B4. Testing by a Jackie Chan patented Kung Fu beat :-)
  5. Tuning unisons from C3 to B4, no ETD allowed

  Is that correct? If so, I wonder what sense it makes to tune the rest of the piano with ETD when you first set the temperament and middle section (C3 to B4) by ear. Imagine a candidate who tuned the middle section in a poor manner and then tunes the rest by ETD. The logical consequence should be that the octaves and other intervalls are poor, too. Isn´t it? E.g the examinee tuned E4 3 cents sharp by ear and then tunes E5 with an ETD perfectly (0 cents sharp/flat). Then the octave E4-E5 is wrong but E5 should get a good score because it is exactly on zero deviation.

  And what exactly is the technical part of the exam? I read that the examinee gets a bag of parts to assemble an action model. Do they start at point zero, i.e. to assemble the model completely and setting the action correctly to the key/string or is it just to insert some single parts into an uncomplete action?

  I don´t plan to do the exam because I passed the German exam and the title RPT is completely unknown here in Germany. I am just curious. And because I am not a PTG member I don´t have access to the members area of the PTG website.

  Gregor