[pianotech] Dampp-Chaser Brochure response

Andrew Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 25 07:35:51 PST 2008

I too live in south Texas.  I have installed the dehumidifier system
that DC makes (there is a specific humidistat for this system).

The venue with the S&S D also had a dehumidifier only system installed
by the dealer.  Right in the middle of the concert season we had a
"Canadian" cold-front blow through and RH plummeted from the mid
seventies to the low thirties.  I was doing pitch corrections between
concerts.  The dean of the college was frustrated and asked what could
be down to prevent this.  I told him that the other half of the system
would make a big difference.  We installed in a couple weeks after he
pushed funding through.  These last two winters have been cakewalks.

I discuss the matter with clients and usually they decide for the
whole system with the beeper to remind them when it is dry.  I tune at
least twice a year for my private clients and replace the wicks each
time I tune, value added service for which I bill.  For them it is
just a matter of shutting that beeper up with some more water every
time it starts yapping.  Customers agree that blinking lights will go
unnoticed "passive aggressively" but when it goes MEEP MEEP MEEP...
like they say, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."

I had an upright in the teaching studio with just a dehumidifier
(humidistat controlled) in it and that improved stability quite a bit,
but the other with the full system was much more stable.  Unless you
are certain that they will never move to North Dakota (or most other
places in the US interior) a full system really is best.  Be careful
to educate customers that select the cheaper dehumidifier systems only
to be aware that this will not protect the piano in a dry climate.   I
always use undercovers or backcovers, just makes sense.

In south Texas, if the piano is in an institution utilizing water
chiller air conditioning or if it is in a house where they like open
windows and sea breezes, use the wet humidistat.

Good luck,
Andrew Anderson