[pianotech] but will it split

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Dec 25 11:54:29 PST 2008

I think the reaction comes from frustration with new ideas being rejected
for dubious reasons:  that we have always done it this way or we should be
capable of doing it the old fashioned way.  That’s not really the point.  Of
course, we should be able to regulate the damper system with tray felt,
paper shims, ironing, etc.  We should also be able to cut a bridge with a
chisel but if we can build a power notcher that will cut the bridge in ¼ or
the time and with, perhaps, greater accuracy, why resist the idea.
Similarly, we should be able to set bearing on a new bridge by pounding in a
couple of wedges until it “feels” right, stretching a string and cutting
little slots all over the place, but if we can precalculate deflections and
the accompanying required bridge height and/or use plate float systems or
vertical hitches to tweak the bearing more precisely why such resistance?
There are numerous other examples, many of which are frequently presented on
this list.

No one would argue the need for a variety of skills in all areas but neither
should the possession of those skills argue for standing still.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com