[pianotech] but will it split

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Dec 25 16:50:46 PST 2008

 Well...In order to allow the tray to angle down low enough to allow an adequate or appropriate underlever slope I cut an 1/8 th inch recess in the front tray lip so the capstans can sit low enough to provide for proper underlever angle.
 I now add a thin piece of multi lam delignit to the bottom of the tray to provide more capstan thread contact area & to resist splitting that can occur when installing vertical capstans /anything  that follow a straight grain line.
 The router idea is beautifully simplistic.

 Dale

Why bother.  Just cut the relief in the tray (I do it with a small hand held router which doesn’t even require setting up a jig) and glue the  felt on directly to the underlever.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com

Gene
  I actually like this idea albeit one more machining step but once set up It shouldn't take 15 minutes or so & would provide more clearance.
  Dale

-----

Just one more thing - when making this sort of conversion I am looking at options on how to best dampen the contact point between metal capstan and wood lift lever.
I am planning on a slight relief cut into the lever and gluing in a piece of woven action felt.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Gene