[pianotech] but will it split

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Thu Dec 25 17:05:27 PST 2008

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Dale, I purchased the capstans from Jurgen at Piano Frote Supply several months ago. I thought that the conversion would be simple - locate and drill holes and start adjusting - wrong.
Capstans are one inch long and require some sort of relief cut on the tray or counter sink for the upper shoulder of the capstan or trimming the bottom threads off or similar.
I say this only because of the way it appears to fit based on the hight of the underlever felt on the tray - thought that getting the top of the capstan at the same hight as the felt would be a good place to start.
As with any conversion/modification, it will take a bit more thought than I thought.
Gene