[pianotech] but will it split

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Dec 26 17:57:17 PST 2008

Gene Nelson wrote:
> Just curious - did you turn down the thickness of the head of the bolt
> yourself? Do you have a laythe? Someone do it for you? It must somehow
> be cost effective for you.
> Gene

They're a recessed head, meaning a thin head with a raised
perimeter. I do have a lathe, and set up to (as quickly as I
can) trim that raised perimeter from the head. It produces the
closest to what I think I want until I find or steal a better
approach. Cost effective? Probably not to produce the
capstans, but certainly to regulate pedal lift. And if the
process is covered by the pricing of the conversion, I guess
it is.

Lots of dragons, lots of ways to slay 'em.
Ron N