[pianotech] Repeat of Question about damping problems with Steinway L

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Dec 29 05:46:01 PST 2008

Will Truitt wrote:

> So, I would be most grateful for the expert diagnosis of my compadres,
> given my list of symptoms.  Thank you again for whatever you have to offer.

By no means an expert, but hopefully these scars mean something.

The whoosh is wedges dragging. Trim them so you aren't
dragging what amounts to a violin bow through the strings when
the dampers lift. The whump may be hard dampers, but I haven't
found the Tokiwa dampers to be particularly troublesome that
way. Maybe I'm just not yet spoiled by something better.

The whump can be lessened by not having all the dampers land
flat at exactly the same time. Stagger the impact. I'd try
having the fronts of the dampers lift just barely before the
rear, so when they seat, the rear is in contact before the
front lands. This helps some, but any damper set will whump to
some degree if allowed to free fall onto the strings.

Springs, definitely.

Luck, and let us know how it goes.
Ron N