[pianotech] Followup on problem damping of Steinway L

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Tue Dec 30 16:00:43 PST 2008

To my cheerful assistants:

Having digested all the wonderful advice you lovely folks so generously
shared with me yesterday, I went back to the customer's house today to
reinstall the back action and dampers.  What I decided to do was install the
damper return springs on the tray up to note 54, and adjust them to the gram
resistance values detailed in the Renner booklet, using the Corex gauge.  I
also chose to yank off all the old new Tokiwa felt, and replace it with
Laoureaux.

I am pleased to report that the combination of the two made a dramatic
difference.  The WHUMP is gone, and the HAAAA is now haaaa.  That is to say
that these kinds of damper noise fall  well within the range of what we
would consider "normal" for new damper felt.   Strumming the bass strings
with the dampers at rest elicits no lasting overtones.  Damper noise when I
drop the damper head onto the string is "normal", although I wish the
monochords were just a little quieter.  But they are dramatically quieter
than before, and we are always hoping for it to be a little better anyway.
So I will say that these efforts were successful, and the customer is
pleased.

Dale, I elected not to check out and possibly relocate the pin in the manner
you suggested.  I did do the "magic line" when I set the back action up
originally, and I was comfortable with how everything lay out when I was
done.  I have not done enough back actions to do this setup work with any
speed yet, I would be introducing a new element to the equation, and I was
already losing a day to do the work I ended up doing.  So I took the chance
that my good work I had done by a "conventional" methodology would be
adequate.   But I promise to try to "kick it up a notch" on my next back
action.  Thanks for giving me the next level to aspire to.

I'm letting the new felt seat and the adjustments to settle, and I'll go
back next week to reregulate the dampers as needed.

Will Truitt