[pianotech] Verdigris in Action Centers

Norm Barrett barr8345 at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 30 20:35:04 PST 2008

I made one 20 years ago with a small transformer from Radio Shack. I saw
one that scared me because it was so large. It would probably deliver
around 60 amps of current which would be enough to catch the flange on
fire. I think mine delivered 5 amps which was more than enough to create
smoke if you held it on the flange pin too long. The voltage is not as
important as the current that you are sending through the center pin.
The primary of the transformer is wired to the 110 V line cord and the
secondary winding is wired to each side of the center pin shorting it
out. This heats the center pin quickly and that is how it works. My
transformer was 110 primary to 12 v secondary.
Norm Barrett