tune an autoharp

Robert Scott fixthatpiano at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 3 17:09:41 MST 2008

David Weiss writes:

>Could someone please tell me how to tune an autoharp?
>A client of mine asked if I could tune hers while I
am there to tune here piano.

David,

You can tune an autoharp essentially the same as a
piano - in equal temperament.  Both aural and ETD
methods can be used.  You will find that most
autoharps have much lower inharmonicity than a piano
in the treble, so expect to see very little stretch
there - sort of like a harpsichord.  However the bass
often has more inharmonicity than a piano, so expect
to see more stretch in the bass.  Some autoharpers use
what they call "sweet tunings", which is just what we
call historical temperaments.  See www.autoharp.org
for more info.  They have a list called
"Cyberpluckers" similar to the pianotech list.

Robert Scott
Ypsilanti, Michigan