Interesting note on bushing cauls

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Jan 3 13:23:18 MST 2008

Hi List,

Here's an interesting tid-bit on the key bushing caul history..

pw
----- Forwarded by Paul T Williams/Music/UNL/UNEBR on 01/03/2008 02:21 PM
-----

"Bill Spurlock" <info at spurlocktools.com>
01/03/2008 01:40 PM

"Paul T Williams" <pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu>
cc

Subject
Re: key bushing cauls

Hello Paul,

I had nothing to do with devising the two caul method. I learned it back
in the mid 1980's from Del Fandrich, who had learned it from another tech
in the Portland area some years previously. Later I heard form a British
technician who had used a similar method many years earlier at Steinway
London. So it seems there is nothing new under the sun. My wife and I are
just the ones who actively taught the method, starting in 1988, and soon
after made the cauls commercially available.

Bill