cleaning action stack

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Fri Jan 4 09:44:03 MST 2008

I suppose after 2500, one becomes rather good at duplication.  As a one-off, one-man shop, and fairly young, I haven't that experience.

I'd guess my technique at duplicating the keybed at the bench is suspect.  I've tried to do that, and have had some success, but in the end I have found it easier just to do it at the piano.  Probably just need to open my mind and practice a bit.

William R. Monroe

  William,

  I have regulated about 2500 piano in a piano factory. Most of the regulating was done on the bench. The key is to set up the action frame on the bench to simulate the keybed. I do this with shims. Once this is done the regulating will be very close with just minor corrections needed.

  Mr. G