cleaning action stack

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 10:33:21 MST 2008

On Jan 3, 2008 7:35 PM, William R. Monroe <pianotech at a440piano.net> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I posted last week about a dirty stack from an "M" that I just took in
> that
> I wanted to clean.  Just thought I'd post my results.
>
> Photos should show a couple before photos (with requisite verdigris), and
> couple after photos.
>
> What I did:
>
> Applied degreaser, scrubbed with nylon brush to remove gunk.
> Spray stack with water to remove degreaser/gunk.
> Let dry.
> Clean stack with Flitz and Scotchbrite.
>
> Tremendous improvement.
>
> Next time, I'd do it the same way, but I'd be quicker on the degreaser
> step.
> I found I spent way too much time scrubbing the degreaser trying to remove
> as much tarnish as possible.  All I really wanted to accomplish with that
> step was removing the build-up of black gunk.  Live and learn.
>
> William R. Monroe

I believe brake parts cleaner will do as good a job without as much
scrubbing, one of the componants of it is naptha, it comes in a spray can
with quite a strong stream and will blow a lot of old crud off by itself.
The problem is it has to be used in a WELL ventilated area, or preferably
outside. It also comes in sprays that are non-polluting to the atmosphere,
non-chlorine formulas.

Those of you with old bowling alley for workbenches, it does not have a
crown at center but is made dead flat. My brother is a lifelong competetive
bowler and owns his own commercial bowling center. He not only has to make
sure they're flat but has to have them checked for flatness by an outside
source.
Mike
--
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
Michael Magness
email mike at ifixpianos.com