Balance Rail Bushings

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 07:49:33 MST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 7:33 AM, William R. Monroe <pianotech at a440piano.net> wrote:

> Nothing says you can't apply the glue to the cloth using the Bushmaster
> system.  A fellow tech told me of this method, and I've used it since.
> Using hot hide, apply the glue to a length of cloth (about enough to do a
> dozen keys).  Give it a moment to begin to tack, then begin bushing.  I
> use
> cauls that are heated, sitting on a hot plate (coffee mug warmer).  Works
> rather well.

I'm certainly no expert on key bushing.   But wouldn't that tend to get glue
where it's not supposed to be?  Do you have any problem with glue "beads"
that develop below the bushing?

What I usually do is glue up ~6 mortises, then move as quickly as possible
with the Bushmaster and double-shoulder Spurlock cauls.  If I can remember,
I'll try your method the next time I have a bushing job.

I'd like to get the brass cauls from Pianotek.  But with the few bushing
jobs I have thus far, I don't know if it would make sense to get them.  I
know -- it's just money.  :-)

--
JF