glue for bushings

MICHAEL MORVAN keymaestro at verizon.net
Fri Jan 4 16:03:20 MST 2008

Clear DayList,
    At the risk of being lynched, burnt at the cross or forced to listen to rap music, I feel I must question why someone would use any other glue than hide glue on WEAR items.  WEAR items being bushings especially. Bushings are replaced so often one could make a good living solely replacing them, and when they are put in originally from the manufacturer or replaced by the technician with a glue that does not release from the pores of wood the nightmare begins. If one is looking for the convenience of a glue in a squirt bottle like Titebond or Elmer's and does not want to deal with hot hide glue then use cold hide glue, it is readily available and strong as can be, and more importantly it is EASILY REVERSIBLE, thus sparing the next technician much grief. An ounce of prevention prevents a pound of cure. With EVERY keyboard and button manufacturer except myself using a PVA based glue on their bushings in the buttons and mortises, I feel for the next generations of technicians having to deal with this preventable problem. Think hide glue, love hide glue.   Mike

Michael A. Morvan
Blackstone Valley Piano
Dedicated To Advancing The Art Of Keyboard Restoration
76 Sutton Street
Uxbridge, Ma. 01569
(508) 278-9762
Keymaestro at verizon.net