glue for bushings

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Jan 4 16:35:06 MST 2008

Grin... what are you a Barbara Streisand fan or something ??

As to your question... I tend to agree... that said its quite plausible
to contrive a jig using an oblong reamer in a drill press that would
simply drill out both bushing and glue in a quick shot if one has a
major type problem removing bushings glued with titebond.  I'll buy that
anyway you cut it its a bit of a pain in the patootey removing such
glued bushings... but hey... its a doable yes ?  That said... I do glue
bushings to the keywood with pearl glue.

Cheers
RicB

Clear DayList,
    At the risk of being lynched, burnt at the cross or forced to listen
to rap music, I feel I must question why someone would use any other
glue than hide glue on WEAR items.  WEAR items being bushings
especially. Bushings are replaced so often one could make a good living
solely replacing them, and when they are put in originally from the
manufacturer or replaced by the technician with a glue that does not
release from the pores of wood the nightmare begins. If one is looking
for the convenience of a glue in a squirt bottle like Titebond or
Elmer's and does not want to deal with hot hide glue then use cold hide
glue, it is readily available and strong as can be, and more importantly
it is EASILY REVERSIBLE, thus sparing the next technician much grief. An
ounce of prevention prevents a pound of cure. With EVERY keyboard and
button manufacturer except myself using a PVA based glue on their
bushings in the buttons and mortises, I feel for the next generations of
technicians having to deal with this preventable problem. Think hide
glue, love hide glue.   Mike

Michael A. Morvan