workshop set-up

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sat Jan 5 08:06:32 MST 2008

I haven't done this yet but have read an article on it and am convinced it
would be a good way to go for my uninsulated concrete floor. Lay down panels
of Styrofoam insulation board 1" thick. Then install a floating laminate
floor with the snap/glue together planks. The Styrofoam is moisture
resistant, but not a moisture barrier. This will keep moisture from getting
trapped under the floor system.

Another consideration is lighting. I invested in several 8' double
fluorescent fixtures. They cost close to $100 each with the bulbs and they
buzz. I would not do this again. I would use the screw in compact
fluorescent bulbs. You can get them with 200 watt equivalent light output
for about $8/bulb. Add the cost of a plastic fixture, about $1.50, and
you've got less than $10 per fixture. They don't buzz and 2 of them put out
more light for less energy consumption and a whole lot less money. They also
sell a version of them in a dusk to dawn fixture with 400 watt equivalent
for about $50. I haven't played with any of those.

I'm not saying I did it but I know a guy who also ran plastic water piping
for shop air. This is dangerous because pressure spikes in the system can
cause the plastic to explode sending dangerous shards. But he ran all of the
plastic inside the walls and ceiling for safety. Any exposed piping was
metal. Having compressed air outlets around the shop is really handy. This
guy normally keeps his air pressure around 50 (keeps the kids from blowing
up bike tires) and doesn't use any equipment with snap solenoid valves.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802