Vertical Hitch Pins, was [CAUT] duplex position

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Jan 5 10:01:34 MST 2008

Hi Frank
  Good to hear your perspective. In the case of standard hitch pins  &
duplexes the down side is often too short of rear string lengths tying  down the
back scale,.  Obviously this is  news but when the standard  hitch array/duplex
is retained using an adjustable plate elevation  system addresses most of the
issue regarding future adjustability of down  bearing. & of course the nose
bolts on Steinways & other pianos with  less rigid plates than M& H can be
adjusted slightly up or down  with a  positive change in bearing pressure.
  SO your warnings are good food for thought.  I can imagine  myself
installing new vertical hitch pins in a clients Priceless Steinway &  having the plate
crack.( & the ensuing debacle) Although it's probably  highly unlikely still
gives me little comfort.
  To each there own
  Dale

Since  setting bearing was deferred until after the string is drawn to full
tension,  there is a wide margin of error.  I remember pianos soundboards
failing  with a loud bang, the soundboard pulling up, and breaking free from the
belly  rail in the high treble.  This would never have happened with traditional
 hitch pins.

Finally, vertical hitch pins open the piano to devastating  results from
unknowledgeable techs making misguided changes in down  bearing.  I hate to say
this on a piano tech list, but I have seen the  results of such misguided
movement of the strings on vertical hitch  pins.   I would prefer to permanently set
the bearing in the  manufacturing process, in a way that cannot be
compromised by well-meaning,  but misguided techs.

Frank Emerson

Dale Erwin--Piano Restorations
4721 Parker  rd
Modesto, Ca. 95357