Eavestaff Piano

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Sat Jan 5 13:26:23 MST 2008

I have friends with a neglected W.G. Eavestaff & Sons upright piano, which
has been in their family for three generations, and was brought to Canada
from England maybe ten years ago. Several of you gave me some very helpful
information last month regarding some action springs in this instrument.

My question this time is directed to those on this list that have some
acquaintance with this particular brand of piano. What, generally speaking,
have you found to be characteristics of Eavestaff pianos when they are in
good condition? What tend to be their strengths? Their weaknesses? This
model stands about 45 inches tall, and has a serial number of 20845.

I need to advise this family regarding their choices as to what to do with
this instrument. The case is in good condition (and somewhat unique, with
candle holders, etc.), and the pinblock seems capable of holding a tuning
(I've done a pitch raise). There is positive downbearing on the bridges. I
still need to check the soundboard for crown. The hammers are not
trashed--there is some life in them yet. To turn this pso back into a
musical instrument, it will be necessary at minimum to replace the hammer
butt springs, go carefully over the action pinning, deal with some
sluggishness in the keyboard, and regulate completely. At the moment it's
unplayable.

Since this instrument has considerable sentimental value and family history,
I would like to give as informed an evaluation as possible. If it will be a
mediocre instrument at best, no matter how much reconditioning is done, this
couple needs to know that up front. If it could become an instrument that
can be musical enough and responsive enough to stimulate the imagination of
child taking lessons, that's another story. If it holds the possibility of
being a resonably expressive instrument, and they want to give it new lease
on life, we can strategize accordingly.

Obviously, the final decision needs to me made in terms of the particular
instrument itself. Knowing something of the brand characteristics in
general, however, will be very helpful. Thanks in advance for any insight
you can give me.

Floyd Gadd
Brandon, MB