workshop set-up

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Jan 5 23:23:45 MST 2008

HI Annie
  All new slabs require a plastic layer/moisture barrier laid down  before
the concrete is poured.  Is this an old slab? Probably epoxy coating  the floor
is the only thing that will seal it.  My brother in law is an  expert on this
& I'll ask him.

  Dale Erwin

My new  shop has a slab floor that currently tends to get moist at times.
Since I  haven't been here an entire year yet, I'm not sure what the
pattern is (and  I've already had some success with stopping it), but it
seems to just come  and go.  I'm prepared ('though not excited <g>) to tile
around  the entire shop, but I don't know whether that will take care  of
it.

Thus far, I've insulated the walls and covered the ceiling  trusses with
plastic.  Foam board will go up as soon as there's  another pair of hands
handy.  Heat currently comes from a wood pellet  stove, which I love but
which makes me nervous when it comes to working  with various chemicals.

So, I'm toying with the idea of putting in hot  water floor heating,
thinking that it will be more even and less dangerous  AND keep the
moisture below the floor surface.  Has anyone put floor  heat in a shop,
and how well did it work?  Is this idea worth  pursuing?

Thanks, as always.

Annie  Grieshop