Front lid extended during performance

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jan 6 08:30:20 MST 2008

>     If the hinges can't take this stress, the piano is trash. It's
>     a non event, or an indication of a need to upgrade.
>
>         I don't agree with this at all.  I've seen Steinways and Mason &
>     Hamlins in schools, where the hinge screws have pulled loose because
>     of students and teachers ignorant of the proper way to open a grand
>     lid.  And those aren't trash pianos.
>         --David Nereson, RPT

I've seen it too, lots of times, and the hinges didn't pull
loose in all these pianos (or in any, for that matter) because
someone had the lid on the prop with the front half down. They
pulled loose because they were manhandled for years in opening
and closing the lid and moving the piano around. Like bench
legs, once the lid screws start getting loose, they go
quickly. Also like benches, almost no one will bother
attempting to tighten hinge screws once they become loose.
Ron N