Front lid extended during performance

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Sun Jan 6 08:53:50 MST 2008

Comments below:

Ron N wrote:

> That's not what I said.

Right, what you said, in response to the question of is this open, propped
lid configuration damaging is, "If the hinges can't take this stress, the
piano is trash. It's a non event, or an indication of a need to upgrade."

My disagreement with your position is, I think, valid.

> Do you know of any instance, even one, where hinges have torn out as a
> direct result of someone propping the lid without folding it back?

Nowhere did I suggest that this configuration leads directly to the hinges
pulling out.  I did suggest that manufacturers use more substantial
hardware.  Also a valid consideration, I think.

> I've seen lids raised this way, and found them like this when I came to
> tune. In no case that I've seen were the hinge mountings detectably
> damaged by this, which was the original question.
> Ron N

Right, but if the lid can't take the stress of being open and propped, it
doesn't mean the piano is trash and that it's time to upgrade, which is what
you said.  It means it's time to repair the lid.

I think I understand what you meant, which was that if the piano's lid is so
far gone, then very likely the rest of the piano is too, but that wasn't
clear in your original post.

William R. Monroe