Front lid extended during performance

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jan 6 08:42:19 MST 2008

> I also disagree with this, I think there are many fine grands with sadly
> underengineered front lid hardware.  For the life of me I've never
> understood why manufacturers can't bring it upon themselves to use
> larger diameter and length screws for front top-lids of grands, and
> fallboard/music desk hinges on verticals.
>
> However, this shortcoming doesn't mean the piano is trash IMO.

That's not what I said. Do you know of any instance, even one,
where hinges have torn out as a direct result of someone
propping the lid without folding it back? I've seen lids
raised this way, and found them like this when I came to tune.
In no case that I've seen were the hinge mountings detectably
damaged by this, which was the original question.
Ron N