Front lid extended during performance

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Sun Jan 6 07:41:22 MST 2008

I also disagree with this, I think there are many fine grands with sadly underengineered front lid hardware.  For the life of me I've never understood why manufacturers can't bring it upon themselves to use larger diameter and length screws for front top-lids of grands, and fallboard/music desk hinges on verticals.

However, this shortcoming doesn't mean the piano is trash IMO.

William R. Monroe

  If the hinges can't take this stress, the piano is trash. It's
  a non event, or an indication of a need to upgrade.

        I don't agree with this at all.  I've seen Steinways and Mason & Hamlins in schools, where the hinge screws have pulled loose because of students and teachers ignorant of the proper way to open a grand lid.  And those aren't trash pianos.
        --David Nereson, RPT