Front lid extended during performance

pianoguru at cox.net pianoguru at cox.net
Sun Jan 6 09:37:06 MST 2008

I'm surprised some of the harpsichord enthusiast on the list have not chimed in on this.  Leaving the front lid forward is not terribly uncommon with harpsichords.  The intent is to improve the projection of the sound of the instruments, although I don't think it is terribly effective beyond the ears of the performer.  Even so, if it gives the performer a better perception of the sound of the instrument, that's reason enough to do it.  I suspect that pianists who have a preference for the front lid forward have some background experience with harpsichord, and have come to appreciate an improvement in sound projection, at least from their perspective at the piano bench.

Frank Emerson