hammers felt coming apart

Martin Wisenbaker mbjwisenbaker at juno.com
Sun Jan 6 19:27:45 MST 2008

Randy and Cal:

I mentioned that the big bass hammers are harder to fix even with CA
glue. I use a pair of channel lock pliers to hold the felt down until the
CA glue cures. It is a little tricky to hold them down in alignment but
with a little practice it can be done. You might try holding a hammer
down without the CA glue on it at first until you get the "hang" of it.
Then apply the glue and hold the felt down. Once the CA glue cures you
don't get a 2nd chance at it. It works easier on the bass hammers if you
take them off the action first. The smaller hammers can be glued still on
the action.

Martin Wisenbaker, RPT
Houston, Texas