This isn't "neurotic" and I'm not talking 'bout rats !

Prof. Euphonious Thump lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 20:58:10 MST 2008

Thanks, Annie,
   But I suspect that much of what you read is
"Rendering Plant Propoganda". I, too have researched
this ( read several complete books ) and the top,
independent  BSE research scientists called prions
"like something alien" for their ability to resist
destruction, even by total incineration of affected
flesh, or blasting with gamma rays ! Really! No
kidding !!!
     They're not "alive" so they can't be "killed".
     And they're "transgenic" ( pass between numerous
species, if exposed. ) The fellow ( Prusiner ? ) who
recently won the Nobel prize for his research actually
stole much of it from a  Hungarian chap ( if I
remember correctly ) with very complex name who
started back in the 30's, examining a  tribe that all
came down with it, after the ritual of eating their
dead relatives' brains. ( Blechhhhhh ! ) But
spongiform encephalopies were recognized first, in the
late 19th century.
     His trials, conducted over decades, proved that
it could pass from sheep, to cows, to fish, to birds,
to humans, etc.. That "Scrapie", BSE, etc.. are all
the same thing, basically.
     And that it seems to spontaneously "pop up" in
about 1 animal per million.  BUT, in the current
practices of "Agribusiness" where the "slaughterhouse
waste" of that one animal is ground up, and mixed with
the feed of ( normally vegetarian ) other animals, it
can spread to many, but not be detectable in any,
because they're slaughtered before it has developed in
their bodies in any apparent manner.
     Though it still may be "infective".

Peace,
( Go have an apple. )