Broadwood And Sons questions

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Jan 9 14:56:33 MST 2008

At 14:48 -0500 9/1/08, Phil Bondi wrote:

>I have come in contact with a woman who wants to 'fix' her Broadwood
>Cottage Piano. This is my first look at a birdcage-type of
>configuration.
>
>She wants it tuned and possibly replace the dampers.
>
>What is the proper procedure for tuning these types of pianos? Is
>there a agreeable reference (A=430?) that I should be shooting for?

Why not 440?  I haven't a Broadwood here to look at, but you can be
pretty sure the strings will be well below the tensile limit of the
wire at A=440 and that it might well have been tuned to military
pitch A=452 during its life.

What is the age of the piano?  It's unusual for a Broadwood to have
overdampers.

The 1881 Kirkman "Cottage Overstrung" I have just got has 10 single
covered strings and 17 covered bichords in the overstrung section,
then has plain wire bichords up to note 53 and trichords from there
to the top.  The plain bichords are at about 150 lbs and the
trichords are at about 125 lbs. when up to pitch.  I tuned it
yesterday with no difficulty and all the strings are original. It's a
very expressive little piano, cottage or no.

Over-dampers have a bad name because they have usually never been
either regulated or teased and are simply not working.  Once they are
properly regulated to begin moving at half-blow, to meet the string
at the right place and at the right angle, they are pretty effective
except in the low bass.  If they haven't had things spilled on them,
you'd probably do better not to recover them.  Most overdampers have
end-grain felt and you can just fluff this back into shape or clean
the felts with a compressed air gun.  Refit and regulate them one at
a time so you can see what you're doing and get at them with the
bending tools.  Make sure to get the slap rail as low as you can, as
you would on a grand.

JD