Broadwood And Sons questions

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Jan 9 16:28:51 MST 2008

At 19:13 -0400 9/1/08, John Ross wrote:

>Then again, I might have been thinking square grand dampers.
>Someone with a better memory than me, will be able to confirm, yes/no.

>>Watch it on the dampers. I seem to recollect, that the grain of the
>>damper is different for proper damping.

No, you are right.  It is normal for overdampers to have end-grain
felt.  Some use a harder felt for the thin treble dampers, but not
all.  I do have one o/d action (another Kirkman) with the usual
stepped flat felt but I think it's the only time I've ever seen it.

You can still get both the felt and complete sets of heads for
overdamper pianos.

JD