was loc-tite agraffes now plate positioning system

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jan 9 15:22:48 MST 2008

> That's pretty much the set up I have now except that looks
> like a 3/8" or so screw.  I'm using a whopping 1/2" x 4"
> screw to fit the hole that the old 7/16" screw came out of.
> This makes the nut fatter however and less clearance
> results.  I wanted to avoid doweling the old hole in the
> inner rim.

Yes, they're 3/8". I fill the rim holes with an epoxy and wood
flour mix and re drill for the new bolts. I also fill the huge
and randomly oblong plate perimeter holes with a mix of epoxy
and cast iron grindings I've saved from previous plate
modifications. Then I can drill a new and more appropriately
sized hole for the new bolts. I use the same mix to fill and
level where I've ground off the front duplexes.

> All of the screws (plate perimeter) are quite bent on this
> never before rebuilt SS M  so we're glad to get rid of them
> anyway.
>
> Bob Hull

That's pretty standard, though I always wondered why.
Ron N