Broadwood And Sons questions

david at piano.plus.com david at piano.plus.com
Thu Jan 10 05:46:35 MST 2008

I just wanted to second everyone's comments about dealing with the
over-damped Broadwood.

I have in the past replaced overdamper felt with the correct end-grain
felt (from Heckschers).  There was some improvement, but it wasn't huge,
and the piano wasn't great anyway.  I would always nowadays tend just to
see if the existing felt isn't fluff-uppable (fluffable-up??) and just
replace the odd one or two that might had had something spilled on them.

With regard to the comment about moving the action in so that the dampers
"push harder" against the strings, it's not so much a case of them pushing
harder, as just sitting properly.  Sometimes it is possible to effect a
substantial improvement by quickly and *gently* pulling up/forwards
slightly the whole set of damper wires (the L shaped bits connecting the
heads to the levers, shown bent inwards in John's photo) a handful at a
time.

You should also of course check the tightness of the damper lever centres:
sometimes overdampers don't work well because the centres have tightened
and the dampers dont fall back down onto the strings - overdampers work
mostly by gravity (and also arguably a bit by being pulled by the holes in
the wippens) and it's not as strong as an underdamper lever spring.

Phil you mention using an oblong tuning head - has the piano got oblong
pins? How annoying! Not seen that on a broadwood.

Don't be frightened about removing the whole damper arrangement, just
proceed with caution bearing John's comments in mind and I think you'll
find it easy.

I would also strongly second the idea of tuning with a Papps wedge rather
than a muting strip.

600 Cents is quite a way to go on an old upright - you'll certainly need
to assess the pin tightness and condition of the pinblock.  And the
general overall condition of the instrument.  It it of huge sentimental
value?  If the lady really wants a piano, should she be buying a new or
newer one?