boes numbers

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Thu Jan 10 20:50:29 MST 2008

In a message dated 1/10/2008 7:44:27 PM Pacific Standard Time,
irs.pianos at earthlink.net writes:

Hi,Bob!
As far as I remember from Steinway classes,Letters and numbers on the right
side of Steinw ay plates indicate CODE of finish being used [shellac,Varnish,]
etc.  Maybe,Eric Shandal can clarify it or correct me…..Case numbers are
usually written with pencils by factory people on cheeck blocks,key slip rails,legs…
..…Hope,it helps… isaac

Hello, Isaac!

The letter indicates the year of manufacture, and the (usually) four-digit
number is a number which at least used to be on every part, which keeps them
together as they travel through the factory without a serial number. Like a
temporary serial number. When the piano is finished, the actual serial number is
assigned.

Bob