custom hammers

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Jan 11 18:21:25 MST 2008

> Hmm.  One time I worked on a piano where someone had used fingernail
> polish on the hammers.  They were very shiny!
>
> Barbara

I was asked by a local dealer to "take a look" at a Baldwin
SD-10 years back. The last octave sounded like a plastic
mallet hitting an  iron bar, which is just what it turned out
to be strangely enough. The top section hammers were
dazzlingly glossy with melted keytop hardener. All nap was
filled and it just needed flattened and buffed to turn it into
jewelry. Someone at the factory had apparently detected a tone
deficiency and tried to voice it up some, then again, then
again, etc. Baldwin, naturally, was sure it was fine. I popped
off a dozen hammers or so and repositioned the strike point,
and the PING appeared. Birds dropped from the sky in agony! It
was decided that was good enough, and we quit there. It
finally sold out of state, which was a good thing. I had told
the dealer that if it sold locally, and anyone (like, anyone
having been told that I had "fixed" it) ever asked me about
the piano, I'd tell them what I knew and what I thought of it.
He understood, but was caught in the middle.
Ron N