bridge recapping tools

Allan Gilreath, RPT allan at allangilreath.com
Sat Jan 12 10:30:52 MST 2008

Good morning all,

As Ron said, choice of tools depends on the user (I love my registered
mortise chisel) except for one that I would recommend to all: Kevlar gloves.
It used to be very obvious every time I would be carving a bridge because I
would walk around with bandages on my fingertips for a few days but these
work great for me. I started with the ones from Highland woodworking (about
$15/pair) and now buy them from Machinist's Supply Company (mscdirect.com)
for substantially less. They come in different weights but most anything is
suitable for our applications to keep from cutting the fingertips while
feeling and guiding a chisel that's that sharp. BTW, it helps keep blood off
of the pretty new soundboards and bridgecaps.

Happy notching and enjoy that state of Zen once it all gets to working
smoothly.

Allan
Allan L. Gilreath, RPT