bridge recapping tools

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Jan 12 07:33:20 MST 2008

> Curious why the advice not to plane a laminated cap. Just appearance or
> concern about delamination if a layer is excessively thin? or?
> Gene

Grain won't likely rise in the same direction in each layer,
so you're very likely to get tear out as you break through.
Glue planes differently than wood. These are also the reasons
laminated caps are somewhat harder to hand notch than solid
wood. Appearance is also a consideration.

I figured that the first recapping and notching experience
doesn't need this extra complication.
Ron N