bridge recapping tools

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Jan 12 12:57:15 MST 2008

> I read about a single caul that Ron N devised to fit the
> whole bridge - but I can't find that exact post to see the
> photo.

????? I did? Don't think so. I use a plywood caul gluing in
soundboards (idea from Shawn Hoar), if that was it. Gluing
caps on bridges out of the piano, I do them upside down on a
flat plank.

> What do the experienced recappers suggest for clamping?
> Also, is West system epoxy or tite-bond preferred?

In a case like this, I'd do edge clamps.
http://grizzly.com/products/searchresults.aspx?q=edge%20clamp
Epoxy (thickened) would be my choice of glue, since you
wouldn't need a lot of clamping pressure or a perfect joint
fit. I'd most likely use scrap maple on the sides, and maybe
no top caul at all if my cap was at least 1/4". I'd probably
lightly clamp about every 4".
Ron N