bridge recapping tools

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Jan 12 19:45:06 MST 2008

Hey Bob
 Well maybe its' just me, but I have a pet peeve with  glue plugging up my
drill bits when drilling bridge pin holes.  When I've  used epoxy I get this
white fluff that either blows back out at me or clogs  the bit long enough to
enlarg the hole. Making me very crabby. It's also  toxic & it gives me headaches.
SO when I do use it I always use a  respirator.
  Tight Bond to me is a nightmare for gummy  bits as is anything thermo
plastic.  The easiest applications I've  found is the Bolduc glue from Pianotech or
urea Formaldehyde. Urea  formaldehyde is a toxic glue as well but with a
respirator it's no big  deal.  Both dry hard & drill easily.  My glue of choice
right now  is the Bolduc.(No respirator) It's not very thermo plastic so no
drill clog  & it dry's quickly & dries hard ready to drill overnight. I've glued
on  Dozens of caps with this so I know the phenomena is a repeatable
occurrence  ....& not just me.
  Bolduc glues his pin blocks laminates together with  it as well as his
Sound board. SO do I & with excellent strength &  good results.
  Perhaps I'm Epoxy impaired but  for Bridge caps ............not my cup of
tea.  If there are ways to defeat  the problems stated please enlighten me.
It's obviously great stuff for so many  applications.
  Hope that helps
  Dale

> What do the experienced recappers suggest for clamping?
>  Also, is West system epoxy or tite-bond preferred?

Dale Erwin--Piano Restorations
4721 Parker  rd
Modesto, Ca. 95357
Shop 209-577-8397