tight pins

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Jan 13 04:11:06 MST 2008

I'm not sure I'd advise putting the whole piano into any particular kind
of climate to try and solve an isolated problem like tight tuning pins.
For several reasons really.  But first and foremost because you will be
exposing the whole piano to the climate... and you could easily end up
with a whole lot of other changes in the piano you didnt really want in
the first place.

Protek ??... well  maybe ... but then I dont think the collective we
knows yet about long term results.  If you are ready to foot the bill
for fixing the whole block if a Protek treatment goes bad... well go for
it.  I think personally I'd rather wait until there was more solid info
on this.  I keep hearing CA is good for loose pins and personally find
the of results borderline value at best.  Better then doing nothing I
guess... on a par with expoxy fixes I suppose.  I'd rather use wood.

Cheers
RicB

    Maybe the piano should be put first in too humid a condition,
    causing the wood to swell, then in too dry a condition, causing the
    wood to shrink?  Actually, you might try some steam in a small
    section, then the blow dryer on hot?  Also seems like it would take
    forever....

    Protek?  Please Vince, some advice from experience?
    Diane