flange bushing

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Jan 13 04:19:35 MST 2008

I have a few strips left I bought a few years back. They work ok.  I
make my own now tho following an old recipe I like better.  Cut the
strips yourself out of your favorite bushing cloth, brush a light coat
of shellac onto one side. It should just barely wick in and be spread
out over the entire surface.  Then when you have your bushings in you
"activate" the shellac with a couple drops of alcohol.

I got the feeling that using water yielded results that didn't last as
long as I wanted. Often found that after a few weeks of play the
bushings I'd so carefully reamed and pinned ended up either seizing up
or getting too loose... depending on the situation.  With shellac I dont
seem to have this problem.

Cheers
RicB

    Has anyone used the flange bushing strips sold by Renner?  These are
    coated on the outside surface with a water activated glue.  I saw
    them at a covention and the person at the booth said once you put
    them in place, just add a drop of water to activate the glue.

    I have a job coming up that involves replacing a lot of flange
    bushings and I'm  wondering if pre-glued bushing strips would be a
    better way to go.
    Any info would be appreciated.

        David Weiss