tight pins

Byeway222 at aol.com Byeway222 at aol.com
Sun Jan 13 06:12:19 MST 2008

Hello List,

I recently had real problems with a piano which had recently been re-strung
and the pins were  ridiculously tight.  It was the type of  rigid tightness
which makes tuning stability  impossible because of  the amount of twisting in
the pin.   I initially had RicB's idea of  winding the pins out and in again
with the becket out of the hole.
What I found to be totally effective was winding each pin out ONE full  turn
and back again, 5 times. This does not loosen the coils enough to cause the
becket to come out.  OK, you have to tidy up the coils and make sure  the
beckets are nipped in, but you don't have the fiddle of putting beckets back  in
the holes.  The heat which builds up in the pin appears to be just  enough to
expand the pin in the plank in order to give it slightly looser  fit.  The
result has been fine, and I can now acheive a totally stable  tuning .

ric