tight pins

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sun Jan 13 12:48:46 MST 2008

<< I remember once trying to heat pins wholesale with an iron to achieve the
same ends more quickly,
Maybe heat would work?  Maybe the piano should be put first in too humid a
condition, causing the wood to swell, then in too dry a condition, causing
the wood to shrink?  Actually, you might try some steam in a small section,
then the blow dryer on hot?  Also seems like it would take forever...., some
advice from experience? >>

      One approach that will work, though is labor intensive, is to use a
short length of 1/0 pin in a pneumatic driver and working underneath the block,
drive the pins upwards far enough so that hammering them back down, (or not),
leaves you with a looser fit.  It plays havoc with the tuning, of course, and
there will be some coil movement, but you can hammer a pin back and forth and
take a fair amount of torque out of it.
    Obviously, you cannot support the pinblock from above,(within reason), so
imho, that argues for the multiple, small force, blows of a pneumatic palm
nailer.  I don't think it applies as much instantaneous force as a hammer or
sledge.  (I use a Senco at 80 psi and it just rat-a-tats pins down like butter.
I know that my pinblocks are more consistant since I began using the air
hammer.)
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay