flange bushing

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sun Jan 13 12:58:59 MST 2008

John writes:

<< Isn't tearing supposed to be better, if you are making your own? The

    rough weave left, intertwines with the opposite side. >>

Greetings,
        I can't envision how the area of intertwined fibers would form a
tighter or denser material than that from which the fibers came.  It seems that
properly cut cloth, whose edges butt together with compression, would achieve a
higher density at the seam line than the fuzzy edges could possibly attain by
just being pulled together in the hole.
   My own experience has been that my torn edges aren't as stable as the
precut cloth,  I think that the fuzzy seam  undergoes compaction with use and the
pinning seems to loosen up a lot. This can be accounted for in the initial
pinning, but then you have a stiff action that will take  a lot of play to break
in, and whose durability is no greater than a looser beginning friction on a
more stable bushing.  (The large size Teflon was great for this, once
everything was reamed straight and within tolerance it could be very low friction)
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay
in shape.<BR>